Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Linda Hall Library Standards and Specifications Overview
Linda Hall Library has over 150,000 standards and specifications published by over 300 professional societies and associations. We have current standards, plus archival standards going back before 1920. The archival collection is supplemented by the standards transferred from the Engineering Societies’ Library. The archival collection includes, but is not limited to:
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute)
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) standards, including the Boiler & Pressure Vessel Codes
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) Annual Book of Standards - the index to published standards - and published Standards volumes
- NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) codes
- Structural codes, such as building, electrical, fire, mechanical and plumbing
Using the Standards and Specifications Collection
Determining if the Linda Hall Library Owns a Standard
- To see if the Linda Hall Library owns a particular standard, search the Linda Hall Library catalog.
- Please note that many older standards are uncatalogued; contact the Reference staff for assistance in locating uncatalogued materials.
Using and Requesting Standards and Specifications
- All current and archival standards and specifications may be used in the library.
- Standards are not loaned outside the Kansas City metropolitan area.
- Most standards and specifications may be borrowed for a 48-hour period by registered borrowers in the Kansas City metropolitan area. For more information about becoming a registered borrower, please contact Reference Services.
- Linda Hall's Document Delivery Services can often provide photocopies, including many hard-to-obtain archival standards and specifications, if copyright procedures and permission agreements allow this. For questions regarding copyright and photocopying of standards, please contact Document Delivery Services.
- Please contact Reference Services if a requested item is not available through DDS.
For current standards, that are not available for borrowing or photocopying, users can also contact the publisher or a commercial provider. Please see the lists of providers and standards/specifications organizations.